The Cocker Spaniel breed is medium-sized, reaching about 15 inches tall and weighing between 20 and 30 pounds. Their skulls are round with long, floppy, feathered ears. Their eyebrows are clearly defined over large, round, brown eyes. They have square, deep, broad muzzles with black or brown noses, and the strong teeth meet in a scissor bite. The breed has a long neck, deep chest, and sloping back. The Cocker Spaniel coat is one of the most beautiful among dog breeds; the hair is long and fine and flows with motion. They come in a variety of colors: white, cream, buff, golden, red, red roan, blue roan, tan, brown, sable, silver, black or combinations of these.
Cocker Spaniels generally have a happy, laid-back personality. They are smart and easy to train, and they are just as suited to hunting as they are to being a loyal family companion. Friendly, social pups, they want to be where the action is and require daily walks or trips to the dog park.
- Moderate activity level
- 60 minutes of activity per day
- High shed rate; brush 3–4 times a week
- Bathe monthly; trim every 3 months
- Clean and dry ears once a week
- Check eyes once a week
- Trim nails and brush teeth regularly
Temperament & Behavior
- Good-natured, friendly, happy
- Intelligent, easy to train, obedient
- Eager playmates for children